[TUHS] First appearance of named pipes

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Wed Mar 11 06:37:14 AEST 2020

On 3/10/20 4:26 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Mar 2020, Chet Ramey wrote:
>
>> Yes, absolutely. Just like a pipe is a FIFO, a FIFO is just a pipe with a
>> name that appears in the file system.
>
> So they would still be subject to the same 8-block limit?  I haven't delved
> into the finer points of named pipes as I rarely use them.

I believe that on Linux, at least, they have the same capacity limits
(64K), but you can modify that. I don't know about BSD.

> Related question: are they the same as Unix-domain sockets?  Oddly enough I
> haven't used those much either.

They're similar, I guess ("I am but a shadowy reflection of you."). But I
haven't used unix domain sockets, either.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/