[TUHS] Command line options and complexity

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Mar 12 10:42:57 AEST 2020

On Wednesday, 11 March 2020 at 19:14:32 -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 6:57 PM Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 11 March 2020 at 14:18:08 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>>>
>>> The "ls" command for example really needs an option-ectomy; I find that I
>>> don't really care about the exact number of bytes there are in a file as
>>> the nearest KiB or MiB (or even GiB) is usually good enough, so I'd be
>>> happy if "-h" was the default with some way to turn it off (yes, I know
>>> that it's occasionally useful to add them all up in a column, but that
>>> won't tell you how many media blocks are required).
>>
>> A good example.  But you're not removing options, you're just
>> redefining them.  In fact I find the -h option particularly emetic, so
>> a better choice in removing options would be to remove -h and use a
>> filter to mutilate the sizes:
>>
>>   $ ls -l | humanize
>>
>> But that's a pain, isn't it?
>
> I don't know; that's subjective.

It's certainly more work than -h.

>> That's why there's a -h option for people who like it.
>
> That's incomplete, in that it implies that an option is the only way
> to achieve the goal of reducing the perceived pain, but that's not
> the case.  (Note I'm not saying you intended that as an
> interpretation, but it's a reasonable intuition for an intention.)

What I meant (and this is certainly my interpretation) was that
somebody added the -h option because of perceived pain with piping
output through another program.  I didn't intend to imply that it was
the only alternative.

> An interesting counterpoint to this argument is how columnized "ls"
> is handled under Plan 9: there is no `-C` option to `ls` there;
> instead, there's a general-purpose `mc` filter that figures out the
> size of the window it's running in, reads its input, decides how
> many columns the input will fit into, and emits it columnized. But
> yes, it would be a pain to type `ls | mc` every time one wanted
> columnized `ls` output, so this is wrapped up into a shell script
> called `lc`. Note that this lets you do stuff like, `lc -l` and see
> multi-column long listings if the window is wide enough.

Yes, that sounds like an excellent method.

> For the `humanize` thing, I don't see why one couldn't have an `lh`
> command that generated "human-friendly long output from ls."

And yes, I deliberately didn't mention this option, though it occurred
to me.  I have a couple of scripts like this, like:

    alias l="ls -lbL,"

>> Note that you can't do it the other way round: you can't get the
>> exact size from -h output.
>
> That's true, but now the logic is specialized to ls, and not
> applicable to anything else (e.g., du? df? wc, perhaps?). Similarly
> with `-,`. It is not general purpose, which is unfortunate.

Yes, this is an issue that I mentioned in an earlier message (I added
a positional parameter to work around it).  But this is in the nature
of the output.  mc doesn't have this issue.

> Granted, combining these things would be a little challenging, but is it
> likely that one would want `ls -l,h`? Optimize for the common case,
> etc....

Heh.  Never thought of that.  But since -h (apparently) never produces
output with 4 digits, the -, doesn't ever come into effect.  I've just
tried it on some big files, and the -, is effectively ignored.

> And then there's the question why you don't like the standard
> output.

I don't like the standard output because things like this are hard to
read:

  -rw-r--r--  1 grog  lemis   8234010624 22 Mar  2012 Casanova-TV-1-5
  -rw-r--r--  1 grog  home   13225168900 31 Aug  2019 Movie:_Sahara_2005-2016-04-11-2028

I find this easier to read:

  -rw-r--r--  1 grog  lemis   8,234,010,624 22 Mar  2012 Casanova-TV-1-5
  -rw-r--r--  1 grog  home   13,225,168,900 31 Aug  2019 Movie:_Sahara_2005-2016-04-11-2028

I can't speak for Dave, but this is also less painful:

  -rw-r--r--  1 grog  lemis   7.7G 22 Mar  2012 Casanova-TV-1-5
  -rw-r--r--  1 grog  home     12G 31 Aug  2019 Movie:_Sahara_2005-2016-04-11-2028

The problem for me there is the difficulty comparing lengths, and the
implicit inaccuracy.

>> Because the number strings are too long and difficult to read, maybe?
>> That's the rationale for the -, option.
>>
>>> Quickly now, without looking: which option shows unprintable
>>> characters in a filename?  Unless you use it regularly (in which
>>> case you have real problems) you would have to look it up; I find
>>> that "ls ... | od -bc" to be quicker, especially on filenames with
>>> trailing blanks etc (which "-B" won't show).
>>
>> This is arguably a bug in the -B option.  I certainly don't think the
>> pipe notation is quicker.  But it's nice to have both alternatives.
>
> By default, plan9 would quote filenames that had characters that
> were special to the shell (there wasn't really the concept of
> "non-printable characters in the Unix/TTY sense); this could be
> disabled by specifying the `-Q` option.

Hmm.  In this particular case, so does Linux:

  === grog at bilbo (/dev/pts/11) ~ 2 -> touch "foo   "
  === grog at bilbo (/dev/pts/11) ~ 4 -> l foo*
  -rw-r--r-- 1 grog grog 1499570 Jun 30  2012  foo
  -rw-r--r-- 1 grog grog       0 Mar 12 10:40 'foo   '

I wonder if that's something we should emulate in FreeBSD.  At the
very least we should consider whether the lack of identification of
trailing blanks is a bug in the FreeBSD implementation of -B.  This
option isn't in POSIX, and in Linux it means

     -B, --ignore-backups
              do not list implied entries ending with ~

So maybe it's a candidate for fixing.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.