[TUHS] The most surprising Unix programs

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Mar 18 00:57:23 AEST 2020

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 10:53:30AM -0400, C??g wrote:
> Andy Kosela wrote:
>
> >>dc, along with ed and I guess awk if we can put it here, is one of my
> >>favorite Unix programs that I use daily.  I don't even have a "normal"
> >>calculator installed.  It just smells like Unix.
> >>There is something sexy about reverse Polish notation.  I really do
> >>encourage everyone reading this to try dc as their "desk calculator"
> >>for some time.
> >>
> >So you probably also love Forth, a very underrated language...
>
> Now I feel bad because I've never heard of it...

I've written a pile of Forth code and while some people love it, I never
warmed up to it.

You've seen it if you have used the Sun boot proms, that was all Forth.

As much as I don't care for Forth, man do I wish it had become the standard
for boot proms, it might not be my cup of tea but I could make it do what
I needed it to do.  Can't say the same for UEFI, I disable that crap.