[TUHS] The most surprising Unix programs

paul at guertin.net paul at guertin.net
Fri Mar 20 21:48:12 AEST 2020

I teach math in college, and I use an RPN calculator as well (it's just easier). Sometimes, during an exam, a student who forgot to bring their calculator will ask if they can borrow mine. I always say "sure, but you'll regret it" and hand them the calculator. After wasting one or two minutes, they give it back.

(Note that I always make sure no calculator is needed for my exams, but it's department policy to authorise non programmable calculators, and it seems to reassure students to have the calculator on the desk, so I don't mind.)