[TUHS] I made a tar tape

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Mar 22 08:29:00 AEST 2020

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 2:47 PM Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, William Cheswick wrote:
>
> > Ron made an insult generator.  You can get ten fresh samples at
> >
> >       https://cheswick.com/insult
>
> Neat!  I vaguely remember a similar one posted to Usenet ages ago; ah,
> those were the days.
>
> > It has about 42 bits of entropy, generating a nice password that is
> > probably safe-for-work, unless you work in a very unusual place.  A lot
> > of people use cuss words as passwords.
>
> I read somewhere (Schneier?) that "shocking nonsense" makes for good
> passphrases; easily remembered, and hard to guess.  And yes, I know about
> that XKCD cartoon...

"play city carrot is a toy store in tokyo"

was my pass phrase more than a decade ago....  Not quite nonsense, though,
because the Japanese like to use English words for how they look or sound
rather than what they mean. Much like people here choose tattoos for how
they look, not quite understanding they just got "katchup queen gerbil"
emblazoned on their lower back...

Warner