[TUHS] sockets (was Re: First appearance of named pipes)

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Thu Mar 26 14:11:03 AEST 2020

On 3/25/20 8:38 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> Are you trying to set up a loop of processes or something?

Nope.  I'll try another way

           +------------------+   +-------------+
--(TCP)-->+ socket    stdout +---+ stdin       |
           |        nc        |   |        grep |
<--(TCP)--| socket     stdin +---+ stdout      |
           +------------------+   +-------------+

This example is back to the functionality that (x)inetd would provide.

The idea being that grep* would act on the data that came in the TCP
connection and send the matching lines out the same TCP connection.

*grep is just a hypothetical example here.

> I'm not sure if that is even possible, although you can't rule out
> creative uses of dup2() etc...

~chuckle~

--
Grant. . . .