[TUHS] Article on Unix pipes history

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Mar 29 03:43:09 AEST 2020

    > From: Warren Toomey

    > Quite good

Yes.

The second part of:

  "Sixth Edition sources are much more widely available than earlier versions,
  thanks largely to the Lions book"

is I believe incorrect, though; I reckon it's because V6 was so widely
distributed, both inside and outside Bell. Many more copies -> higher
probability of retention.

Also, from 'Source code listing for the Lions' Commentary in PDF and PostScript':

  "in 1988 I discovered an old 9-track tape being discarded of a PDP11
  backup. It was hard to determine what it was running, but it did have an
  intact /usr/src/ tree of which most of the files were timesamped 1979, even
  at that time it seemed ancient. So it was either 7th edition or a derivative
  like PWB, which I believe it was.

Do you still have the tape, or its contents?

	Noel