[TUHS] as(1) on Ultrix-11 vs 2.11BSD

Alexander Voropay alec at sensi.org
Fri May 1 07:49:35 AEST 2020

Can anyone please explain the last $0 pushed to the stack ?
Early SysIII ans SYSV on the i386 (and may be on i286) used
similar syscall convention.

I wrote about this:
https://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2019-October/019274.html
https://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2019-October/019294.html

Example:
===
        .file "test.s"
        .version "02.01"
        .set WRITE,4
        .set EXIT,1
        .text
        .align 4
        .globl entry
entry:
         pushl %ebp
         movl %esp,%ebp
         subl $8,%esp

         pushl $14 /length
         pushl $hello
         pushl $1 /STDOUT
         pushl $0
         movl $WRITE,%eax
         lcall $0x07,$0
         addl $16,%esp

         pushl $0
         movl $EXIT,%eax
         lcall 0x07,$0

         .data
         .align 4
hello:
         .byte 0x48,0x65,0x6c,0x6c,0x6f,0x2c, 0x20,0x77,0x6f,0x72
         .byte 0x6c,0x64,0x21,0x0a,0x00