[TUHS] SDB debugger

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat May 2 09:05:24 AEST 2020

> unknown. It also says that the original author of ?sdb? is unknown. Is
> that correct, is the author really unknown?

Howard Katseff
See 3BSD: usr/doc/sdb/sdbrp.n
and
https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/library/proceedings/cinci93/full_papers/katseff.txt

I had also done some interview with him.  My Book (wip) says:

Katseff, who had already graduated from Berkeley in August 1978,
was working at Bell Labs in Holmdel
in the group developing 32/V. He started working on
sdb, a symbolic debugger for C language programs. It was used
for debugging core images from aborted programs. It could report
which original source code line caused the error, allowed
access to variables, define breakpoints, calling procedures,
and could single step on a line by line basis.
(Haley and Joy had provided constructive criticism during the sdb
development.)
% cite: archives/1970s/3bsd/usr/doc/sdb/sdbrp.n
% NOTE: Katseff didn't remember if that is for doc or code
This debugger was transferred to Berkeley along with the rest of
the 32/V operating system.\cite{katseff1}