[TUHS] v7 K&R C

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Wed May 13 03:23:27 AEST 2020

On 5/11/20, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> Isn't that effectively what companies do now?  Don't they all have a
> "Here is what you can use, this and nothing else" doc?
>
> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:57:01PM -0700, joe mcguckin wrote:
>> Maybe it???s time for C++ subset ???G'

Absolutely.  The projects that I ran effectively used C++ as a
stronger-typed version of C.  A small subset of C++ features were
allowed, but among the prohibited features were:

o multiple inheritance
o operator overloading
o friend classes
o C++ exception handling
o all std:: and STL functions

The last two of these are mainly for performance reasons.  throw and
catch play merry hell with compiler optimizations, especially of
global variables.

-Paul W.