[TUHS] History of popularity of C

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri May 22 06:12:12 AEST 2020

arnold at skeeve.com <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

> > I get the impression that an important part of its popularity was how C
> > (and C++) became the language of choice on the PC, and displaced Pascal in
> > the process.
>
> C++ became the language of choice on the PC when MSFT started pushing
> its compiler and Visual Studio IDE.

C was winning years before that. I saw a comment on a certain orange
website that referred to Dr Dobbs Journal, August 1986, which I found
online at
https://archive.org/details/dr_dobbs_journal_vol_11/page/n541/mode/1up

On that page there are a few choice quotes from the archives (1983) about
C from a PC perspective. The letters pages are 1/3 C. There are 8/10 pages
of articles about C. Then there is a 23 page comparative review of 17 C
compilers.

It's remarkable :-)

Tony.
Irish Sea: Southeast 3 or 4, increasing 5 to 7, veering southwest 6 to gale 8
later. Smooth or slight, becoming moderate or rough, occasionally very rough
later in south. Fair then rain or squally showers. Good occasionally poor.