[TUHS] History of popularity of C

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Fri May 22 06:17:32 AEST 2020

On 2020-05-21 1:22 PM, John Foust wrote:
> In the mid- to late 80s, there's the rise of the flat address space
> 68000 machines like Amiga and Atari which could enjoy the
> cross-pollination of code ported from Unix C environments.
>
> On the Mac, Apple's MacApp environment was their Object Pascal
> and not C++ until 1991.  Think C came out in 1986.

Few developers used MacApp, afaicr. Most used plain Pascal - initially
Lisa Pascal, though that was before my time on Mac - and those who
didn't like Pascal could write C on Mac before THINK, using tools like
Aztec C (or even Whitesmiths, one of the earliest).

Even though MPW was an excellent industrial strength environment with
good Pascal and C compilers, the big vendors like Adobe adopted
LIGHTSPEED-then-THINK-then-Symantec C quickly and rewrote Pascal apps
(like Photoshop) in C early. Then CodeWarrior came along and ate THINK's
lunch.

--Toby