[TUHS] main

Thomas Paulsen thomas.paulsen at firemail.de
Mon May 25 21:37:21 AEST 2020

>i was surprised not to see any mention of the entry keyword reserved but,
>i believe, never used in early c. it is listed in k&r ed1.
>i always assumed this was to allow the author to choose an alternative to
>main() for the program’s entry point,  but we all know what assumption is...
older CC's came with the so-called startup code where one could increase the number of file handle and so on before compiling and linking the resulting .o to the application object files. Of course one could rename the invocation of main to something like beatles. ;-) Even M$ msc supplied the startup code.

-Steve