[TUHS] History of popularity of C

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue May 26 14:21:13 AEST 2020

On Sat, 23 May 2020, Clem Cole wrote:

> [...]  Pascal tries to be the answer, but I think it suffered from the
> fact that it makes Pascal a production quality language, you had a
> extend it and everybody's extensions were different.

Perhaps I'm the only one here, but when I was taught Pascal (possibly by
Dr. Lions himself) it was emphasised to us that it was not a production
language bur a *teaching* language; you designed your algorithm, debugged
it with the Pascal compiler, then hand-translated it into your favourite
language (and debugged it again :-/).

That damned "pre-fill read buffer" was always a swine with interactive
sessions, though; I recall Andrew Hume threatening to insert a keyboard
into the terminal's CRT if he saw that "?" prompt on the Cyber...

-- Dave