[TUHS] History of popularity of C

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Wed May 27 06:00:27 AEST 2020

Dan Cross writes:

> Of course Pascal was designed specifically for teaching. I learned it in
> high school ...

I had a different experience; I learned C in high school at BTL and then took
my first programming class in college which was Pascal and I kept finding it
extremely difficult to use because it was so much less flexible than C.

Until I took that class it had never even occurred to me that people would
write books about the topic as I had leaned from technical memoranda.  There
were two books in this class, Wirth's and Fundamental Algorithms.  Got Don
to sign my copy a few years ago which he said he wouldn't do unless it looked
really used.

Jon