[TUHS] The Elements Of Style: UNIX As Literature

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Fri Nov 6 10:39:35 AEST 2020

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 3:11 PM Tyler Adams <coppero1237 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Fun read and it's totally wild that people's emotional comfort with *text*
> drives a lot of their love or hate of unix.
>
> http://theody.net/elements.html
>
>  Tyler

I would concur with the adaptation that the modern predictor of unix
aptitude is attention span (which is lessened for a number of societal
changes).  It takes a fair amount of delayed gratification to get
comfortable with unix. I was able to intuitively use Mac OS Classic at age
3, and I can see modern youth have the same young intuition for touch
devices. But unix takes a bit more discipline and only rewards those who
persevere.  I suspect that’s why modern tech employers like it.  They’ve
learned to pick up the cues for people that will perform well in roles that
require perseverance and holding a lot of mental context.