[TUHS] The Elements Of Style: UNIX As Literature

Chris Torek torek at elf.torek.net
Sat Nov 7 01:19:24 AEST 2020

>> I think you're jumping to conclusions.  The importance of 80
>> characters (for small values of 80) is that it's a comfortable text
>> width for human eyes.

>Exactly this.

Yes -- this is the (or at least "an") argument for two-column text
on wide (8.5x11 or A4, or larger) paper pages.

>It's also why I'm fine with smaller screens, I tried the giant apple
>displays and found that those required head movement along with eye
>movement.

>I'm lazy.

I am too, but I still use a big screen: I just fit a lot of
smaller windows in it.  I'd like to have a literal wall screen,
especially if I'm in an interior, windowless (as in physical glass
windows) room, so that part of the wall could be a "window"
showing a view "outside" (real time, or the ocean, or whatever)
and other parts of the wall could be the text I'm working on/with,
etc.

(But I'll make do with these 27" 4k displays. :-) )

Chris