[TUHS] The Elements Of Style: UNIX As Literature

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Nov 7 07:10:22 AEST 2020

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I live on Linux and it has made some stuff
> pleasantly clickable.  I use virtual desktops, I have 6 of them.  There
> are xterms in 5 out of 6, the last one has firefox.  I click but I
> mostly live in terminal windows.  Which are all 80 columns because
> that's the right width (I can go on and on about that).

Almost all of my xterms are 80 cols for the same reason, but I do have one
that is about 160 cols for things like "sdiff" etc.  Or if I'm feeling
nostalgic I'll use 120 cols :-)

They are also mostly 24 rows, except for a couple of 40-row ones for email
(more context) and source editing (ditto).

I was brought up on 80x24 (along with a status line which could be
addressed either with an escape sequence or the "25th row") so it feels
"right" for me (we'll ignore the 72x20 VT-05 for now).

-- Dave