[TUHS] Apple IIe Unix?

Vincenzo Nicosia katolaz at freaknet.org
Fri Nov 27 09:07:55 AEST 2020

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 09:47:40AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Nov 2020, Will Senn wrote:
>
> > So, I'm about to get my very own Apple IIe and while it's an incredibly
> > versatile machine for assembly language and hardware hackery, I'm not
> > aware of any Unices that run on the machine, natively. Does anybody know
> > of any from back in the day?
>
> I'm not aware of any, but I would start with something like Mini-Unix (a
> really cut-down Unix).
>
> You'd have to do the assembler stuff yourself, of course.
>
> -- Dave

There is FUZIX by Alan Cox:

  https://www.fuzix.org
  https://github.com/EtchedPixels/FUZIX

which is a blend of V7+BSD userland plus a mix of different UZI
implementations from the '80s and a lot of new code. It runs on a
variety of "small" CPUs, including pdp-11, Z80/Z180/Z280, 8080, 8085,
8086, 6502, 6803, 6809, 68k, and a few dozens platforms.

There is some initial support for Apple IIe there.

I have used it myself on several retrobrew Z80/Z180 systems, but not on
an Apple IIe, so I can't tell it will work for sure. It's worth trying
it out though.

HTH

Enzo