[TUHS] Fwd: Choice of Unix for 11/03 and 11/23+ Systems

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Oct 2 10:39:00 AEST 2020

    > At some point, I'll produce a 'MiniUnix ld' on vanilla V6, so I can
    > build MiniUnix versions of applications there; the first will be the
    > shell, so I don't have to keep typing 'chdir' instead of 'cd'! :-)

OK, that was pretty smooth. I now have (on the main V6 system) a linker in
V6 binary form that outputs MX binary files, so I can do things like:

  mld sh.o /mnt/lib/lib[ca].a

to produce a new shell (which worked fine). (I think to build 'mld' all I
had to do was 'cc ld.c', in usr/sys/source on the MX disk.)

This whole 'futz with MX by mounting the MX disk under V6' thing works really
well.

    > Then on to trying to find out why MiniUnix crashes whenever I try and do
    > anything significant.

I decided I wasn't up to tackling that, so instead I did all the edits to
produce an LSI-11 version of MX. Doesn't boot, though; tries to do a panic, I
think. I'm too burned out to keep going, I will continue tomorrow morning (US
East Coast time).

Once I get it running, before I make it available for download, I need to go
back and put conditional assembly flags in mch.s so there's only one source
file for both kinds of system; I had originally planned on doing that, but I
was in such a 'code attack' mode I forgot all about it.

    Noel