[TUHS] Fwd: Choice of Unix for 11/03 and 11/23+ Systems

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Oct 7 06:34:18 AEST 2020

    > I just realized that the _first_ entry, #'9', is actually #0 _in the
    > directory_; u_count counts _down_, whereas the code looks through dir
    > entries going _up_.

Fixed that (kept my own index of which entry it was working on, and
caculated the name location in the buffer, and got:

  chk 0 15 2 '..'
  chk 1 14 18 '.'
  chk 2 13 34 'bin'
  chk 3 12 50 'dev'
  chk 4 11 66 'etc'

etc... and it blew right past the 'etc' entry, to the end of the
directory. WTF?

    > Still don't understand why I can't print the dir entries out of the u
    > area, though.

Now that my brain has turned on, I'll bet that's not _my_ bug, I'll bet it's
_the_ bug! If the directory entry in u.u_dent.u_name is all 0's, _of course_
the match is going to fail.

Just for grins, I set the CPU type in Ersatz-11 to "40 EIS NOMMU" and... it
booted up fine! I suspect there must be an issue with the -11/05 emulation in
Ersatz-11, since MiniUnix worked fine on _real_ -11/05's.

Now to see if 'cc' works on an '-11/40' - then back to the /03.

    Noel