[TUHS] Origins of globbing

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Sat Oct 10 04:21:17 AEST 2020

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020, at 23:45, John Cowan wrote:
> Not always, though.  Some distros package GNU rename
> <https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/rename.1.html> instead, which
> can only convert a fixed string to another fixed string.

This rename utility is actually part of util-linux [a mixed bag of utilities that were developed early on by linux kernel developers to fill in the gaps of what GNU didn't provide], not GNU.

[I believe the other rename command is actually part of perl, and you can execute arbitrary perl code, not just a regex substitution]