[TUHS] A Paper by dmr in 1984

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Fri Sep 11 06:35:30 AEST 2020

Clem Cole writes:

> One of the things I am most proud of as a Board Member and USENIX President
> was going free access during my time. It was bold and scary, but the right
> thing to do.    Too bad, IEEE and ACM don't have the same values.   A
> paywall is an invisible revenue stream and makes it easy for them to
> 'provide value,' *but they do it one other people's work*.  Back when
> publishing was a more expensive thing for them to do, it made *some*
> sense.  But it should have been a zero-sum/at-cost game.  When it became
> the primary revenue stream for those organizations, is when they fell from
> grace.

I completely agree; I asked both ACM and IEEE if I could at least have access
to their libraries for stuff that I had already paid for and had on paper but
they said no so I dropped my memberships.

Along those lines and in the archeology department, I have boxes of ACM and
IEEE pubs from the maybe 1982-2010 timeframe that are about to get recycled
so if anybody wants 'em, let me know.

Jon