[TUHS] Fwd: Choice of Unix for 11/03 and 11/23+ Systems

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Mon Sep 28 10:22:16 AEST 2020

On 27/09/2020 22:12, Warner Losh wrote:

> Maybe a bit of electrical tape over the fingers on the 256KB board would
> keep them isolated from these signals? That would help determine if it
> is just floating pins, or that the LSI-11 used these pins for other reasons?

No need for tape or any other test.  The pin assignments for both the
original LSI11 bus, as used in the 11/03, and the Q22 bus used in later
machines, are well documented.  The 16-bit pinouts are listed in the
1976 edition of the Microcomputer Handbook, the 18-bit in the 1980
edition, and there's a comparison table with Q22 in the 1982
Microcomuters and Memories handbook.  There are more differences than
the BDAL18-21 lines and there are even differences between the KD11-F
and KD11-HA.

The SRUNL signal that was mentioned isn't likely to cause a problem;
it's on both AF1 and AH1 in an 11/23 and a KD11-HA, but only on AF1 on a
KD11-F, and I'm not sure it's bussed anyway in most backplanes.

BDAL18L is on BC1, and that's an internal clock signal on a KD11-HA.
BDAL19-21 are on BD1-BF1 and they're connected to MICROM signals in the
KD11-HA.  None of them are connected to anything on a KD11-F.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull