[TUHS] Zombified SCO comes back from the dead, brings trial back to life against IBM

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Fri Apr 2 12:16:09 AEST 2021

On Thu, Apr 1, 2021 at 8:28 AM Josh Good <pepe at naleco.com> wrote:

> On 2021 Apr  1, 09:12, Warner Losh wrote:
> > The other set of claims made, which may be stronger, was that IBM and
> > Redhat used their dominant position to lock out OSes other than Linux,
> > including FreeBSD from their cloud platform.
>
> I don't think IBM has a dominant position in the cloud business. Microsoft's
> Azure and Amazon's AWS are the dominant forces in the cloud business.
>
> I don't see merit on that claim from XinuOS. They are just firing in all
> directions to find out if by chance they hit some target with money to milk.

Yup, it seems flimsy IBM arranged over $100k a few years ago at my
request to do the initial FreeBSD bringup on powernv in addition to
time and hooking us up with Eldorado Institute.  Had there been a
commercial deployment there would have been a lot more help and PR.
They have and use pfsense in the IBM cloud.  It seems like the lawyers
didn't do any discovery.  It will be interesting to watch.

This list will enjoy digging through this
http://tenox.pdp-11.ru/monterey/ -- whoever made these business
decisions to dump Monterey/IA64 before shipping was good at decision
making in a way I haven't seen in my own career.  I've long suspected
the purchase of Sequent was the real downfall to working with SCO.
That too was a great decision.

Regards,
Kevin