[TUHS] Zombified SCO comes back from the dead, brings trial back to life against IBM

Fabio Scotoni fabio at esse.ch
Sat Apr 3 01:28:49 AEST 2021

On 02.04.21 17:16, Larry McVoy wrote:
> So I get that playing with v6 in an emulator is fun, it's a trip down memory
> lane.  What I don't get is why on God's Green Earth you would contemplate
> building any sort of product on ancient Unix.

While I'm not aware of any examples of anything building on ancient UNIX
as a whole,
I would like to note that parts of ancient UNIX have made their way into
other systems.

For example, FreeBSD and OpenBSD src/usr.bin/diff/diffreg.c are derived
from Ancient UNIX diff(1) source code, namely 7th Edition UNIX.
(There is some amount of irony in Xinuos forking FreeBSD and basically
importing their own licensing issue indirectly.)

Various pieces of documentation under the Caldera license also permeate
the BSDs.