[TUHS] Zombified SCO comes back from the dead, brings trial back to life against IBM

David Arnold davida at pobox.com
Sun Apr 4 11:48:57 AEST 2021

> On 3 Apr 2021, at 12:51, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> SunOS 4.1 was the best *ix I have ever used (and I've used lots over the decades);

I used to tell people the same thing: my memory of it was very positive. And then I booted up my 4.1.1 tape on my 3/260 and .. it was very ordinary.

The headers were missing a bunch of declarations, the tools didn’t have a lot of the options I’ve since come to rely on: it felt half-done and oddly amateurish compared to a recent Linux or BSD.

I was surprised. I tried Ultrix 4.4, Irix 5.3, and NeXT 3.3 (which I had more or less at hand) and they were all pretty awful.

The world has moved on, and my bar is a lot higher now. I don’t doubt SunOS was great at the time but it’s absolutely obsolete now.