[TUHS] Zombified SCO comes back from the dead, brings trial back to life against IBM

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Apr 5 00:43:39 AEST 2021

On 2021-04-04 03:55, Josh Good wrote:
> On 2021 Apr  3, 19:23, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
>> all these years later, the best part of my career was at Sun.  Sun
>> was the Bell Labs of my generation.
>
> Yes, it looks like in those years inferior Unix vendors were playing a
> game
> of lock-in with their customers, while Sun was playing the opposite
> game:
> attracting users and developers with features, openness and by
> providing a
> more joyful user/developer experience.
>
> Those who could, used Sun kit. Those not so fortunate, aspired to use
> it.

In 1993, when we spun up our first Linux box, we named it 'mercury',
since
it was the closest to a Sun we were going to get at our little community
college.

It was a re-purposed Novell server, a 486DX-50, 32 MB RAM and 1 Gig HD,
pretty
beefy system for the time, and the CS dept was ecstatic that they now
had
access to a Unix-like system in addition to the VAX/VMS that they'd been
using up until then.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX