[TUHS] Zombified SCO comes back from the dead, brings trial back to life against IBM

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) lyndon at orthanc.ca
Mon Apr 5 06:08:45 AEST 2021

Josh Good writes:

> Yes, it looks like in those years inferior Unix vendors were playing a game
> of lock-in with their customers, while Sun was playing the opposite game:
> attracting users and developers with features, openness and by providing a
> more joyful user/developer experience.

Yes, but weren't they also the first to unbundle the C compiler?  Until
that point Sun had been doing a good job of elbowing out DEC where I
was working.  When the C compiler went away we damned near mutinied
to become a wall-to-wall Ultrix shop (on the BSD side).

Personally, I think Sun's unbundling of C did more to launch the GNU
project into the mainstream than anything.  Once gcc and binutils
became defacto on SunOS systems, GNU's future was set.

--lyndon