[TUHS] SUN (Stanford University Network) was PC Unix

Tom Lyon pugs at ieee.org
Sat Apr 10 00:08:58 AEST 2021

Prior to Sun, Andy had a company called VLSI Technology, Inc. which
licensed SUN designs to 5-10 companies, including Forward Technology and
CoData, IIRC.  The SUN IPR effectively belonged to Andy, but I don't know
what kind of legal arrangement he had with Stanford.   But the design was
not generally public, and relied on CAD tools only extant on the Stanford
PDP-10.  Cisco did start with the SUN-1 processor, though whether they got
it from Andy or direct from Stanford is not known to me.  When Cisco
started (1984), the Sun-1 was long dead already at Sun.

After both Sun and Cisco, Stanford got serious about holding on to IPR.

--
- Tom