[TUHS] SUN (Stanford University Network) was PC Unix

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Apr 14 07:57:20 AEST 2021

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021, David Arnold wrote:

[ Microbee ]

> 6116 static RAM meant no mucking about with DRAM refresh either.

Yep, that helped a lot; slower, but who cared?  My memory is fading now,
but I recall that the Z-80 had a "refresh" pin to tell any attached
dynamic RAM to refresh itself.  The Z-80 was my favourite chip :-)

> Happy days.
>
> But I never tried to get a Unix on it. UZI or Fuzix might work?

I toyed with the idea of Minix or LSX, but it would have to be stripped
back and I didn't think that the Z-80 was up to it, even though I had the
128KB bank-switched model.  With the Hi-Tech C compiler I did get a number
of simple Unix programs to run, and even found a copy of CP/M UUCP (which
was overlaid to to hell and back).

I did have a copy of Concurrent CP/M, but never tried it.

-- Dave