[TUHS] SUN (Stanford University Network) was PC Unix

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Thu Apr 15 15:01:01 AEST 2021

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 2021, Paul Ruizendaal via TUHS wrote:
>
>> Z80 CP/M machines were still competitive in 1981-1983 (Osborne, Kaypro)
>
> And the Aussie Microbee...  Wonderful machine, and easily hacked upon.
>
> For example, you could expand the memory by soldering several chips on top of
> each other and addressing the CS* line via bank-switching.

That worked on the old Radio Shack (Tandy) Color Computer 2 as well.
Until this moment I didn't know it had been demonstrated on any other
architecture.

The Operating System OS-9[1] Level One would detect this and use the
bank-switched memory if it was available.  Presumably it kept identical
copies of itself in each bank as the entire address space switched.

Microware OS-9 was *nix-like in look and feel although it was very
different internally I think.  OS-9 still exists today.

I started with OS-9 and so found Unix a comfortable environment when I
transitioned over.

[1] Which should not be confused with any operating system running on a
Mac.  That's another story.

Rob