[TUHS] Systematic approach to command-line interfaces

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Aug 1 02:17:18 AEST 2021

Sorry, hit return too soon.   I remember an old AAUGN newsletter describing
it.   If I recall it was original done for kermit.  The same idea is in
tcsh also.  Which came first, I don't remember.  Cut/pasted from AAUGN Vol8
# 2
-----------------
CCMD: A Version of COMND in C

*Andrew Lowry*
*Howard Kaye *

Columbia University

CCMD is a general parsing mechanism for developing User Interfaces to
programs. It is based on the functionality of TOP5.20's COMND Jsys. CCMD
allows a program to parse for various field types (file names, user names,
dates and times, keywords, numbers, arbitrary text, tokens, *etc*.). It is
meant to supply a homogeneous user interface across a variety of machines
and operating systems for C programs. It currently runs under System V
UNIX, 4.2/4.3 BSD, Ultrix 1.2/2.0, and MSDOS. The library defines various
default actions (user settable), and allows field completion, help, file
indirection, comments, *etc*. on a per field basis. Future plans include
command line editing, command history, and ports to other operating systems
(such as VMS).

CCMD is available for anonymous FTP from
[CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU]WS:<SOURCE.CCMD>*.*

For further information, send mail to:

info-ccmd-request at cu20b.columbia.edu
seismo!columbia!cunixc!info-ccmd-request