[TUHS] Systematic approach to command-line interfaces

Steve Nickolas usotsuki at buric.co
Mon Aug 2 10:29:54 AEST 2021

On Sun, 1 Aug 2021, Dan Cross wrote:

> Spawn vs fork/exec is a false dichotomy, though. We talked about the fork
> paper when it came out, and here's what I wrote about it at the time:
> https://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2019-April/017700.html

I've often wished I could run a free/open Bourne-type shell on 16-bit
MS-DOS and OS/2.  Porting to the former is next to impossible because of
the lack of *any* concept of multitasking.  Porting to the latter is
difficult because multitasking isn't done anything like the Unix way.

I actually like the spawn* functions better, though I think on Unix
fork/exec is the most natural way to implement them.

-uso.