[TUHS] Systematic approach to command-line interfaces

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Aug 3 08:33:30 AEST 2021

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 6:00 PM Jon Steinhart <jon at fourwinds.com> wrote:>

> Oh, sorry, wasn't meaning to be categorical there.  Main reason that it
> came
> to mind was John's web example; many have said in the past that the UNIX
> model couldn't do that until they figured out that it actually could.

I sorta lost track of what I was saying there: spawn*() would work fine in
pipelines, since they involve fork-quickly-followed-by-exec.

Doug's nifty sieve example, on the other hand, would not: the Right Thing
there is Go, or else goroutines in C (either libmill or its successor
libdill as you prefer) since the sieve doesn't actually involve any sort of
global state for which processes are relevant.  Granted, the C libraries
have a little bit of x86_64 asm in them (but you are not expected to
understand this).