[TUHS] Encoding an ISA: Random Logic vs. Control Stores

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Thu Dec 2 03:08:58 AEST 2021

There seems to be confusion here about microcoding vs. discrete
logic/LSI.    All but the initial 11/20 (and its variants) are
microcoded.   That is there is a programmed sequence of operations in
the execution of the individual instructions.   The less popular 11/60
even featrued a writable control store.

All of the early PDP-11s were built out of discrete logic.   Relatively
simplistic combinations of various logic chips, gates, flip flops, etc..
   A lot of these were encapsulated into the DEC "Flip Chips" small
circuit boards to do common sets of operations.   While this is by
modern standards, crude, it doesn't preclude microcoding and other
advanced tasks.    I worked on a supercomputer built that way (Denelcor
HEP built largely out of Motorola 10800-series ECL chips).

As I previously stated, the 11/44 was the last of the discrete logic
PDP's in 1979.    The later systems were all large scale integrated
circuit based.  First starting with the LSI-11/03 on the Q bus, quickly
followed by the 11/23 and the Unibus 11/24.