[TUHS] Book Recommendation

Charles H. Sauer sauer at technologists.com
Mon Dec 6 15:18:49 AEST 2021

> On Dec 5, 2021, at 10:42 PM, Dan Halbert <halbert at halwitz.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/5/21 11:25 PM, Adam Thornton wrote:
>> I wonder how many of you don't know about Don Lancaster.
>>
>> Pioneer in home computing back when that meant something, inventor of a very low cost 1970s video terminal (the TV Typewriter), tremendously skilled hacker, brilliant guy.
>>

> In 1970, in eighth grade, I learned digital logic from his "RTL Cookbook" and the SWTPC Digital Logic Microlab, from Popular Electronics: https://www.tinaja.com/glib/microlab.pdf, both of which I still have.

In 1972, while i was still ambivalent about my music ambitions, in the second year of my transition to computer ambitions, pondering the combination of those ambitions, I built one of Lancaster’s function generator projects, depicted on the cover at https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Electronics/70s/1972/Radio-Electronics-1972-09.pdf <https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Radio-Electronics/70s/1972/Radio-Electronics-1972-09.pdf>. I think i still have  it in the garage, but am not sure if I could still get it to work.

--
voice: +1.512.784.7526       e-mail: sauer at technologists.com <mailto:sauer at technologists.com>
fax: +1.512.346.5240         web: https://technologists.com/sauer/ <http://technologists.com/sauer/>