[TUHS] Photos of University Computer Labs

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Thu Dec 23 23:05:55 AEST 2021

On 22 Dec 2021 18:18 -0800, from lm at mcvoy.com (Larry McVoy):
> The CP/M machines bring back different memories, using that and BDS
> C because an 11/780 with 4MB of ram and 40 users meant each user was
> getting 1KB so it swapped and swapped and swapped.

4 MB RAM and 40 users works out to 100 KB of RAM per user for me. Even
accounting for a large at the time OS it should be several tens of
kilobytes per user on average for actual useful data. So, because
there's probably some detail here that means you're right and I'm
wrong, how do you arrive at the figure 1 KB of RAM per user in that
scenario?

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”