[TUHS] Photos of University Computer Labs - now off topic

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Dec 24 02:19:23 AEST 2021

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 10:02:40AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > I had forgotten about control-t - does anything modern still do that
>
> FreeBSD does. It's my biggest annoyance with Linux that it doesn't.

Seems like a patch might be nice.

> 100k for a process that likely needed 500k to 1MB would indeed be swapping
> its brains out. So while tha vax could do I/O 10 times faster than a Z80 of
> the era and run maybe 5 times faster, all that was lost when you started
> thrashing because you can't keep your working set in memory.

Yeah, exactly.  A z80 with floppies seems slower, and was much slower
than a VAX to yourself, but I very rarely experienced that.  40 students
at 4am and the load average was through the roof?  No thanks, I'll take
the predictable speed of my CP/M machine over the VAX any day.  It wasn't
that slow, I got a lot of work done on it.

--lm