[TUHS] Photos of University Computer Labs - now off topic

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Dec 24 02:35:32 AEST 2021

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 04:28:26PM +0000, Dr Iain Maoileoin wrote:
> >>I might get flamed for this comment, but is a number divided by a number not
> >>arithmetic.?? I cant see any maths in there.
> >That's just a language thing, lots of people in the US call arithmetic
> >math.  I'm 100% positive that that is not just me.
>
> Interesting - have you always done that??? Or is it a more recent use of the
> word?

It's always been that way, arithmetic is a mouthful so people use math
to mean arithmetic.  You are correct, arithmetic is a distinct subset
of math.  But it's pedantic to call that out, math is a superset of
arithmetic so it is perfectly reasonable to call doing some arithmetic
"math".  If we started nit picking about those types of differences,
we'd never get anything meaningful done.