[TUHS] Are there images of any SVR2's available online?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Dec 24 17:09:24 AEST 2021

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021 at 9:39 PM Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Are there any bootable media available for any SVR 2 systems available
> online? Or are they all under IP lock and key? If so, what's the closest
> system that is available to get a feel for that variety of OS?

You can find pointers to System Vr4.2 on i386 here
https://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/ancient/ as well as System III, but
nothing in between.

http://squoze.net/UNIX/sysV_pdp11/Installation has system Vr1 on a pdp-11
installation instructions. This is, as far as I know, the only version of
System V that ran on the pdp-11. The porting target was changed to the VAX
in system Vr2 (though there were VAX versions of both System Vr1 and System
III, the latter on squoze.net).

https://archive.org/details/ATTUNIXSystemVRelease4Version2 has the sources
to the different System V releases and claims to have a cpio of the System
Vr2 sources that could create a bootable system.

On vetusware.com, you can search for SYSVr2 and find 2 entries. I've not
looked at them. One claims to be the source, and the other claims to be a
dump of /usr with sources and binaries (but no "/" nor bootable tapes it
would appear). The entries for these indicate there's animport of BSD code,
but no TCP/IP.

Finally, there's this page on installing System Vr3 on a 3b2 from scratch.
https://loomcom.com/3b2/installing_unix.html looks good to my eye. It's an
installation from floppies.

But no bootable tapes that my googling could find.

Warner