[TUHS] reviving a bit of WWB

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Feb 3 10:19:00 AEST 2021

On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 11:11:44AM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2021, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> >I've dealt with this, here is a story of a super computer where native
> >pointers pointed at bits but C pointers pointed at bytes and you can shake
> >your head at the promotion problems:
> >
> >https://minnie.tuhs.org/pipermail/tuhs/2017-September/012050.html
>
> Holy smoking inodes!  I'd forgotten that story...

I tend to log in to forums these days as "luckydude" and that story is
just the first of many examples.  I have seemed to have gotten lucky
being building up the right experiences and then falling into a job that
can use them.  It really made me look better than I am, things just sort
of flowed.

And having almost 6 months to work on whatever I wanted and deciding to
port the networking stack?  Priceless down the road.  No way they would
have given me that task, I was too green.

Fun times.