[TUHS] Fwd: Choice of Unix for 11/03 and 11/23+ Systems

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Wed Feb 3 11:25:49 AEST 2021

    > From: Greg A. Woods

    > There's a "v6net" directory in this repository.
    > I wonder if it is from either of the two ports you mention.

No; the NOSC system is an NCP system, not TCP; and this one has mbufs (which
the BBN v6 one did not have), so it's _probably_ a Berkleyism of some sort
(or did the BBN VAX code have mbuf's too; I don't recall - yes, it did:

  https://minnie.tuhs.org//cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=BBN-Vax-TCP

see bbnnet/mbuf.c). It might also be totally new code which just chose to
re-use that meme. I don't have time to look closely to see if I see any
obvious descent.

    > Too many broken half-baked MUAs seem to still be widely used.

I'm one of the offendors! Hey, this is a vintage computing list, so what's
the problem with vintage mail readers? :-)

    Noel

PS: I'm just about done collecting up the MIT PWB1 TCP system; I only have
the Server FTP left to go. (Alas, it was a joint project between a student
and a staffer, who left just at the end, so half the source in one's personal
area, and the other half's in the other's. So I have to find all the pieces,
and put them in the system's source area.) Once that's done, I'll get it to
WKT to add to the repositoey. (Getting it to _actually run_ will take a
while, and will happen later: I have to write a device driver for it, the
code uses a rare, long-extinct board.)