[TUHS] reviving a bit of WWB

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Feb 3 13:32:09 AEST 2021

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021, Richard Salz wrote:

> BBN made a machine "optimized" for C.  It was used in the first
> generation ARPAnet gateways.
>
> A word was 10bits.  The amount of masking we had to do for some portable
> software was unreal.

I'm trying to get my head around a 10-bit machine optimised for C...
Well, if you accept that chars are 10 bits wide then there shouldn't be
(much of) a problem; just forget about the concept of powers of 2, I
guess.

Shades of the 60-bit CDC series, as handling strings was a bit of a
bugger; at least the 12-bit PDP-8 was sort of manageable.

-- Dave