[TUHS] AT&T 3B1 - Emulation available

Ed Bradford egbegb2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 20:13:09 AEST 2021

Hay, Arnold,

MC 68K was created in 1980 or thereabouts. We talked about 10's
of Megahertz, I think, in those times. I was involved (slightly) with the
Zilog Z80,000 which would have competed with the 68K, NS32K and the Intel
80386. Of the instruction sets (architectures) I was most happy with, the
Zilog 32-bit processor architecture was to me, the most minimalist and
thorough. At the time, I managed software development for the Zilog
company's Z8000 computers. It was a fun era. I bought a z8000 system and
developed a CRAY simulator on it when I left Zilog and went to work for
American Supercomputer Company (another interesting Silicon Valley story).

The 1980's were a very interesting time in Silicon Valley.

One of the saddest stories I recall is when "Eagle Computer" went public.
The CEO died on the IPO day after he had become a very rich person when he
crashed a Ferrari during a test drive. Eagle Computer died with the CEO.

Ed