[TUHS] FreeBSD behind the times? (was: Favorite unix design principles?)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Fri Feb 5 03:46:50 AEST 2021

+1 to everything Dan said, including the "who cares if it works?".

I was definitely coming at it from the kernel perspective, I joined Sun
just after SunOS 4.0 came out; that was the release that made mmap/page
cache be a coherent thing, the buffer cache was almost completely gone,
I think it was still used for inodes and directories but no user data
was in there.

The amount of work that went into that was huge but the resulting kernel
was actually smaller (I think) and much easier to understand and maintain
(I know).  And the kernel team was quite proud of that work, with good
reason.

Which is why it blows my mind that the same organization that saw the
value of have one way to do things, did a 180 and said the page cache
isn't that important.  When I talked to the ZFS guys about it, their
plan was that ZFS was going to be the only local file system so it sort
of didn't matter.  But that's nonsense, you are going to have tmpfs,
nfs, vfat, ntfs, whatever apple uses, etc.  So you are going to have a
page cache for all of those, which means the page cache is never going
away, which means that mmap() wants pages (remember, you can mmap stuff
that isn't in memory, you need the hardware to fault for you so you can
go get it).  The ZFS guys said making that work is too hard, we did it
in BitKeeper, it works fine.

So the combination of going back to something anyone with OS smarts
knows is a bad idea plus the fact that I know from personal experience
that they could have done in the page cache and still have compression
and XOR, yeah, I lost a lot of respect for those guys.

ZFS is very useful, it could have been that and played nice with the
page cache.

--
---