[TUHS] FreeBSD behind the times? (was: Favorite unix design principles?)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Feb 6 06:50:17 AEST 2021

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021, Will Senn wrote:

> ZFS needn't be compressed, and I don't generally do compression or
> encryption unless required by law, so I can't speak from personal
> experience on those use cases (others, far more experienced can). I do
> know that it's truly a pain to recover from issues with either.

[...]

Thanks; I'd heard that ZFS was a compressed file system, so I stopped
right there (I had lots of experience in recovering from corrupted RK05s,
and didn't need any more trouble).

Ah, the RK05 - evil incarnate.  I mean, a disk drive exposed to the air?
Out There Somewhere [tm] is a picture of a human hair compared with the
head clearance; yikes!

Once a month, our DEC ginger-beer[*] would PM our 40s, and I was most
perturbed to learn that the sole job of the internal NiCd battery was to
drag those heads back in the event of a power failure; what, you were
writing at the time?  Too bad...

[*]
His surname was "Roth", so naturally his nickname was "Portnoy".

-- Dave