[TUHS] FreeBSD behind the times? (was: Favorite unix design principles?)

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Feb 6 12:55:53 AEST 2021

On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 06:22:32PM -0800, Rico Pajarola wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 12:51 PM Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> > Thanks; I'd heard that ZFS was a compressed file system, so I stopped
> > right there (I had lots of experience in recovering from corrupted RK05s,
> > and didn't need any more trouble).
> >
> That's funny, for me this is the main reason to use ZFS... What really sets
> ZFS apart from everything else is the lack of trouble and its resilience to
> failures.

I'm gonna call Bill tomorrow and get his take again, that's Bill Moore
one of the two main guys who did ZFS.

This whole thread is sort of silly.  There are the users of ZFS who love
it for what it does for them.  I have no argument with them.  Then there
are the much smaller, depressingly so, group of people who care about OS
design that think ZFS took a step backwards.

I think Dennis might have stepped in here, if he was still with us, and
had some words.

I think Dennis would have brought us back to lets talk about the kernel
and what is right.  ZFS is useful, no doubt, but it is not right from
a kernel guy's point of view.

I miss Dennis.