[TUHS] Typing tutors

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Sun Feb 7 03:33:53 AEST 2021

I learned on a manual typewriter in 7th grade, but I got fast on a
keypunch. To this day i don't use the right shift key, because it didn't
work on a keypunch.

At Berkeley, everybody was already a touch typist. That's why vi
commands emphasize lower case letters, especially hjkl which are right
under the home position. The original reason for hjkl was the ADM3A, but
when I added arrow key support to vi and disabled the hardcoded hjkl, a
line of grad students made me put it back.

     Mary Ann