[TUHS] Typing tutors

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sun Feb 7 08:38:30 AEST 2021

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021, Mary Ann Horton wrote:

> I learned on a manual typewriter in 7th grade, but I got fast on a
> keypunch. To this day i don't use the right shift key, because it didn't
> work on a keypunch.

The 026 (ugh!), or the 029?

> At Berkeley, everybody was already a touch typist. That's why vi
> commands emphasize lower case letters, especially hjkl which are right
> under the home position. The original reason for hjkl was the ADM3A, but
> when I added arrow key support to vi and disabled the hardcoded hjkl, a
> line of grad students made me put it back.

I'm not surprised :-)  We were all playing "rogue" back then.  And my
favourite terminal was indeed the ADM-3A; it just seemed to be designed
for Unix, with the ESC key in the right place etc.

I still loathe the VT-220...

-- Dave, a fast two-finger typist (but with pinkie on RETURN)